Thursday 9 November 2023

macOS management with Intune - prerequisites

Back to main macOS page

There are some prerequisites before you can manage your macOS devices with Intune, but not many, and you have probably satisfied them already. Here goes:

Devices, users and licenses:

macOS 11.0 and later devices are supported.

Your users must exist in Azure AD. They can be cloud only but many organizations use Entra ID Connect to synchronize users from Active Directory. That's what I've done in my lab. 


Your users must be assigned at least an Intune license. That is included with Microsoft 365 E3 or E5 so I'm good.

Also, make sure that you have an Intune Administrator account to carry out all the configuration that you need.

Set MDM Authority

The documentation tells you that it is a prerequisite to set this to Intune. However in my experience all tenants I come across have this already as Intune is the default setting.


It does no harm to verify this by selecting Tenant administration.

Apple MDM Push Certificate

Finally you need an Apple MDM Push Certificate. 

I've already configured this for management of iOS devices. You only need to do it once. See here for the steps if you haven't already done it.

Perfect, I didn't need to worry about any of the prerequisites in my lab as I've done it all already. Next we will talk about how to enrol devices.

No comments:

Post a Comment