I'm implementing an AutoPilot process for a customer at the moment involving hybrid AAD join of Windows 10 1809 devices (Lenovo T480 laptops). In general the AutoPilot process works. However we ran into trouble when we retired or reset a device that had been previously joined to Azure AD. The behaviour was consistent and the devices never joined AD or AAD.
After about 30 minutes they would fail with:
“Something went wrong. Confirm that you are using the correct sign-in information and that your organization uses this feature. You can try to do this again or contact your system administrator with the error code 80070774”
This suggested that there was something preventing the Offline Domain Join from completing and the process timed out. I researched the problem and saw that I wasn't alone. Similar issues were reported in the TechNet forums.
- I made sure that the devices did not still exist in AD or Azure AD but it did not make any difference.
- Also I made sure that the ODJ profile was assigned to a dynamic group of my AutoPilot devices. Remember the solution worked perfectly first time around. It only gave trouble when the devices were reset.
- The AutoPilot device group was based on the presence of the ZTDId attribute.
I reached out to the product group and Michael Niehaus gave me some advice. He suggested that only way to get it to reliably work was to remove all the device objects (AAD, Intune, Autopilot) and then re-import the device to Autopilot to start over. He also suggested a possible workaround. Target the Domain Join device configuration policy to "All Devices" instead of AutoPilot devices only as that would help with the ODJ timeout problems.
That's what I did. I changed the targeting and it worked. The devices joined both AD and Azure AD as normal. Thanks Michael.
I hope this helps you if you find yourself in the same situation.
Until next time......