Wednesday 1 June 2022

BitLocker waiting for activation

This is a quick blog post describing an annoying issue I encountered while developing a Windows 10 Autopilot process for a customer. My BitLocker policy (MEM > Endpoint Security > Disk encryption) reported as Succeeded and the recovery key was escrowed to Azure Active Directory. 


However, all was not well in the BitLocker Drive Encryption applet in Control Panel. I had the yellow exclamation warning icon with the message "Windows (C:) BitLocker waiting for activation".


The event log gave me an idea where to look. "Failed to enable Silent Encryption. Group Policy settings require the creation of a recovery key". This was Azure AD only so the Group Policy reference didn't make much sense. However it made me look for anything related to creating a recovery key in my BitLocker policy.


I found it here. I had set Recovery key file creation to Required.

What does this do? According to the tooltip "Setting this to Allow will allow an admin user to create a 256-bit recovery key file manually. Setting this to Require will require an admin user to create a 256-bit recovery key file manually. Setting this to Deny will disallow any admin user from creating a 256-bit recovery key file manually. BitLocker silent enablement requires this setting configured as Deny or Allow". I didn't want this to be required.


Changing this setting to Allowed did the trick and the device was encrypted successfully.

I hope this helps.

Until next time.......




No comments:

Post a Comment