Tuesday 9 April 2019

CMG Connection Analyzer error - NameResolutionFailure

This week I've been rebuilding my ConfigMgr lab in preparation for demos at MMS 2019. Last night I added the Cloud Management Gateway. I had all the prerequisites in place. I had my certificates already and the CNAME for my external domain was configured. You can read about the certificate and CNAME requirements here


All looked good with the CMG.



There were no errors in the CloudMgr.log file.



The Azure Cloud Service had been created.



My first hint of a problem was the CMG Connection Point status, which remained Disconnected. I figured it was time to run the trusty CMG Analyzer. It's brilliant for pin-pointing where the issue is.



Oops - a lot of errors there.

First one - Failed to connect to the CMG service. Unexpected response status code is NameResolutionFailure. For more information, see SmsAdminUI.log.



Configuration version of the CMG service should be 4.
Failed to get CMG service metadata. For more information, see SmsAdminUI.log.



Connection status of CMG connection point 'ConfigMgr.GH.LOCAL' is 'Not Connected'. Routing to primary site 'GH1' may not be fully functional. For more information, see SMS_CLOUD_PROXYCONNECTOR.log on the CMG connection point.



Failed to test the CMG channel. Check SmsAdminUI.log for more details.

Let's have a look at the log files.



The SmsAdminUI.log file doesn't help very much.



Neither does the SMS_CLOUD_PROXYCONNECTOR.log file. There is nothing there to help me.

So what was the first error again? Failed to connect to the CMG service. Unexpected response status code is NameResolutionFailure.

I previously configured a CNAME record so I didn't quite understand that.


That was the problem - no CNAME record.



This is a test domain and someone had been messing around with the DNS records. The CNAME record had been deleted. I added it back.



Then the CNAME lookup was successful (this took about 8 hours).



The CMG Connection Point connected with no further action from me.



The CMG Analyser then executed perfectly. We're back in business. 

I hope this helps. Until next time.....

7 comments:

  1. It looks like your management point is not available. Have a look at the component status for further information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gerry, Getting similar errors but only 2 components.
    Configuration version of the CMG service should be 9.
    Failed to get CMG service metadata. For more information, see SmsAdminUI.log.
    &
    Failed to test the CMG channel. Check SmsAdminUI.log for more details.

    no errors in logs anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gerry! I'm having the same error but we didn't actually configured any CNAME in our DNS servers, it is a mandatory setting? I was told that this DNS name should be set automatically by SCCM.
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gerry, thanks for sharing. Some dudes removed the DNS entries (internal and external). Cheers, Al

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do we need to do external entry only or internal also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You only need the internal DNS entry if the internal and external domains are the same.

    ReplyDelete